River Center Guide - Apply Today!
Overview: River Center Guides are among the Conservancy’s most dedicated volunteers. These individuals staff the Conservancy’s River Center, housed at lockhouse 8 within the C&O Canal National Historical Park in Cabin John, Maryland. River Center Guides primarily provide park visitors with information about the ecology and threats to the Potomac and the river protection and conservation activities/programs of Potomac Conservancy, and secondarily provide information about the canal and the lockhouse.
- Open the River Center to the public and place signs along the canal (morning shift)
- Welcome visitors and inform them about Potomac Conservancy and its conservation/environmental protection programming
- Set up and staff interactive activities that educate visitors about the Potomac on the lawn of the River Center.
- Invite visitors to sign up for the Conservancy’s volunteer activities
- Answer questions about the C&O Canal National Historical Park
- Ensure each guest signs in on the log book
- Invite visitors to explore current River Center exhibits
- Answer visitor questions about the lockhouse and its function during the Canal’s years of operation
- Maintain the public areas of the River Center; replace brochures and materials as needed; remove trash and recyclables
View the complete River Center Guide position description >